The Beams Department is responsible for:
- Operation and optimization of the performance of the LHC.
- Operational performance of the accelerators and storage rings forming the injector complex of the LHC, together with the operation of their experimental areas.
- Continued development of the LHC injector chain to meet the needs of the LHC for both protons and ions.
- Beam dynamics theory and simulation codes for the design and optimization of particle sources and accelerators.
- The Beam instrumentation and electron cooling systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
- Controls including beam synchronised timing for the Accelerators, their transfer lines and the Experimental Areas.
- Safety and Access control systems for both the beam facilities and across the CERN sites.
- Industrial control systems for experiments, technical infrastructure, protection systems and other equipment teams.
- Radio frequency and beam feedback systems throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
- Monitoring and first line intervention concerning the CERN general infrastructure.
- Safety aspects associated with CERN's accelerator operations.
Inter Departmental Projects and Other Responsibilities:
- Design, development and construction for the Upgrade of the LHC (HL-LHC)
- Design, development and construction for the Injector Complex Upgrade (LIU)
- Completion of the installation and commissioning other major projects including AWAKE, ELENA, HIE-Isolde & Linac4
- Design studies and R&D for future facilities including FCC, ILC and CLIC
- Education, Training & Teaching activities in International Schools