The Industrial Control Systems Group within the Beams Department (BE-ICS) has the mission to provide technical solutions, engineering, development and support in the domain of industrial controls for the entire CERN complex.
The Group is responsible for:
- proposing, procuring and supporting the basic industrial controls technologies used throughout the CERN complex for both the accelerators and experiments.
- providing common industrial control frameworks and tools for CERN users.
- developing, deploying and maintaining control systems in the fields of process control, interlocks and supervisory control for a variety of users and systems including Detector Control Systems, Detector Safety Systems, Electrical Distribution, Cooling and Ventilation, Cryogenics, Machine Protection and many other.
- a SCADA Application Service managing regular updates and preventive maintenance for hundreds of different control systems.
- the central management of WinCC OA at CERN including contract management, license generation, software distribution and support.
- an on-call service to respond to industrial control system issues.
The Group is also involved in related research and development activities in the fields of data analytics, machine learning, advanced controls and control system simulation.